Friday, November 30, 2012

Bank Reserves at Federal Reserve

Over the last several years, many analysts have argued that QE isn't inflationary because the money that the Fed has printed has been locked up in reserve balances.  I don't personally share this view, but it's worth noting that recently reserve balances have been contracting and currency in circulation has been growing as banks have chosen to convert reserves to currency.  Currency in circulation is now growing at nearly a 10% annual rate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.