Monday, October 29, 2012

Will Sandy Affect Economic Data?

With Sandy shutting down much of the east coast today, it's likely that there will be some effect on economic data, but it's tough to say how much until the storm actually hits.  Typically initial jobless claims can be one of the more sensitive indicators to week to week variance.  In 2005 Katrina caused a clear spike in the national numbers, although I don't think anyone expects Sandy to cause anything close to the damage that Katrina did.

Jobless Claims Katrina Spike
4 Wk Moving Average

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.