Wednesday, February 1, 2012

S&P Performance After a Strong January

Yesterday, I wrote (tongue in cheek) that after January's hot start, the S&P is on pace to climb 66% for 2012.  With another big gain to start February, it's looking like that might not be too far off.  I'm still not a believer in 66%, but after looking at some historical data, I'm slightly more willing to believe that a double digit year might be in store.

Below are the instances of a greater than 4% return for January since 1957.


There has never been a negative year following such a strong January, and only in 1987 did the market return less than double digits.  The 21.5% average annual return is pretty spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.