Monday, August 22, 2011

Gold Price Monetary Base Ratio

I'll be the first to admit that there are some shortcomings to this analysis.  But, to the extent that one believes expansion of the monetary base is the classical definition of inflation and at least a leading indicator of broader price increases, the following ratio may be of some interest.

The price movement in gold has been parabolic recently, but so has the increase in the monetary base.  The ratio of the price of an ounce of gold to the size of the monetary base has remained surprisingly flat since 2008.

Click to Enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.