Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cumulative Net Charge-Off Data

A few days ago I wrote an article on gold and the monetary base posted at Seekingalpha.  One of the comments received there was a request to relate the expansion of the monetary base to banking losses sustained as a result of the credit crisis.

I don't have that exact data, but I remembered that yesterday I did post an overview of banking sector data from the FDIC.  As part of that entry, I included this chart on quarterly charge-offs and provisioning:

Click to Enlarge
I thought it might be interesting to sum the charge-off data to see exactly how much in losses were sustained on bank loan portfolios as a result of the crisis.  It turns out that the aggregate charge-offs to bank loan portfolios have been $557B since 1Q08.  


In 1Q08 there were $7.96 trillion worth of loans on bank balance sheets, which means that total net charge offs have been approximately 7% of outstanding loans since that date (not adjusted for new originations).  Of course the total economic losses are greater than $556B because these losses only account for non-securitized loans (and don't include Fannie and Freddie).

Losses from securities no doubt eclipse losses from the loan portfolios; however, it's more difficult to determine what securities losses were incurred because cash flows were interrupted and which were paper losses.  The nice thing about the net charge-off data is that it is restricted to assets which went bad because the borrower was delinquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.